Saturday, April 28, 2012

Our IVF Plan

After the laparoscopy findings last week (where a large nodule was removed), our friends have been thrilled that we've finally located the source of our infertility.  Now our family and friends tell us "you guys can probably conceive naturally now!  Just relax and have some fun."

These words made me shudder.  It reminds me of the years 2007-2009 when I was convinced we had a fertility problem but Doctors, family and friends tried to tell us "it would happen."  Clearly, it wouldn't happen as we had many infertility issues to overcome. 

I don't want to get my hopes up that we will conceive at all, let alone naturally.  During our first IVF attempt, NONE of our eight eggs fertilized naturally.  We obviously have some sort of problem in the fertilization department (likely DNA fragmentation) that is overcome by PICSI during the IVF process.  But this problem is likely to impede or significantly slow down the chances of a natural conception.  I estimate we may have a 10% chance of natural conception now if we tried for a year.  Not good odds. 

So I want to keep going with IVF.  IVF gives us our best chance.  But it's expensive.  Very expensive. And it's been causing problems in the family.

DH's parents don't want us to continue IVF. They think it won't work and it's a waste of money.  Their attitude upsets me, as I don't think it's any of their business how we spend our money.

My parents are the opposite. They see how much I want a baby, and they're willing to help financially. 

So, now we just have to decide what to do.  IVF?  Try naturally?  Give up?

It feels that we've come too far to give up now.  It feels so CLOSE to a baby.  We can make good embryos. We just need the right embryo.  And now my endometriosis has been resolved, it should help our chances.

So DH and I have agreed to a plan.  It's basically easier for me to have a "plan" for the year that we can follow, rather than trying to make decisions based on raw emotions (particularly following a BFN). 

So, this is our plan.

May - Healing from laparoscopy and internal stitches.
June - Transfer last frozen embryo.  If negative......
July -  One month break to "try naturally." (I can tell this to the in-laws if they ask me...I can say "we're not doing IVF right away.  We're trying naturally" even though it's only for one month).
August - Stimulated IVF cycle.  This would be our 5th IVF cycle, so I can't imagine what will happen if this doesn't work.

God, I hope it works!

1 comment: