Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The surgeon says...

I went to see the surgeon, to get an opinion on whether endometriosis is a problem. I was previously diagnosed with endo a few years ago and after a laparoscopy I fell pregnant with DD. I've been getting some symtpoms of endo returning, and I think it may be part of the reason (or the full reason) why our seemingly "beautiful" embryos (as described by the RE) aren't implanting.

The surgeon was a little strange in his manner, but a kind man. He listened to my history and symptoms, and he agreed that he thinks endometriois is a likely reason why IVF hasn't worked.

We discussed immune therapy. I've researched it online but my RE is reluctant to put me on any immune protocols yet (due to the side effects). He agreed that it may be an issue - and he's going to test for natural killer cells when he does the laparoscopy.

He is going on a vacation next month and has only one day of surgery left before he goes. His surgical list was full...but much to his assistant's horror he insisted on squeezing me onto the surgical list before he leaves. Thank you!

So now I'm scheduled for laparoscopy surgery to remove any endometriosis and test for natural killer cells that may be preventing the embryo implanting. The surgery is the week after next.

Oh - and the BEST part about the meeting (apart from finding a Doctor who has the same thoughts as I do), is that he said without a doubt that he expects we'll fall pregnant again. And then he repeated that he has no doubt we'll fall pregnant again (after the endo has been treated). So that was a wonderful thing to hear. NB. I have heard my RE say this and it hasn't worked out so far, so i'm not counting on it. But both my RE and the surgeon have independently given us a good prognosis now which is very encouraging.

So now it's full steam ahead for surgery in a fortnight! I'm feeling positive again for the first time in a long time.

1 comment: