Monday, March 28, 2011

My husband is still away for work, but he gets home on Friday. I've had a few curve balls thrown at me while he's been away. Baby girl and I both got sick twice. And today I had a wild bird in the house! It was chaos - flying around everywhere trying to look for a way out. Getting animals that shouldn't be in the house out is my husband's job. But seeing as he wasn't there to handle it I had to do it. And I'm proud that I've coped well while he's been gone. All of these little challenges have given me confidence to know that somehow I'll cope while he's away. It's also given me confidence to know that I'll cope if I'm pregnant and if I'm not pregnant while he's away. I've been talking to a good friend of mine. She has two children through IVF and she is so keen to have one more. She told me that if she was able to conceive naturally they would probably have had three children just as she wanted. But now she has to go through another round of IVF to have another baby and it's just so hard. As we all know, there is such a financial and emotional cost of IVF. She also said that people have made her feel greedy for wanting another child. Their rationale is that surely after two IVF babies, you can be happy with your lot? Why be greedy and go for a third IVF baby? It got me thinking about babies and how many babies I would have had, could have had, should have had without infertility in the picture. If I didn't have infertility, I would probably have had 3 children (and the eldest would have been about 5 years old by now). But I do have infertility and I'm so thankful I have a beautiful one year old miracle. But how many babies could I go for using IVF? I don't know. Right now I'm happy to go for number 2. If I'm lucky enough to have a number 2, DH and I would contemplate going for number 3 (maybe). It got me thinking that we just don't know what the future holds for any of us. So the best thing we can do is be thankful for what we have today, rather than constantly striving for what we don't have. Today I have a beautiful one year old baby girl. She's such a joy, and a miracle. If I can have a sibling to add to the family I will be thrilled.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go dealing with the bird. I think I would have had to get a hotel room! I'm impressed. It's amazing how we find out that we are stronger than we ever thought when a challenging situation comes along.

    ReplyDelete