Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Review with the RE

DH and I met with the RE on Monday. It's been 2 years since we were last in that office.

I remember 2 years ago that the RE had been cautious about our chances of having a baby. This time, she seemed much more optimistic. She told us that because we already had one successful IVF cycle and pregnancy, she sees no reason why we can't replicate it.

There was some interesting news that came out of the meeting. Through my last IVF cycles, there seemed to be a problem with egg quality. I was lead to believe that I had "bad eggs" which made me feel that we were running out of time to try for another baby.

At the review the RE explained that my eggs have been immature, but that doesn't mean they are bad. Instead of my "bad eggs" being the cause of our infertility (as I had always believed), she thinks my ovarian reserve is excellent. Instead, she thinks that DH"s sperm is the problem. His sample appears to have a high percentage of fractured DNA sperm which places his fertility in the "very poor" range. Additionally, in our first IVF cycle, when my eggs were placed next to his sperm, they didn't fertilize. So regardless, the egg and sperm connection just doesn't work for us.

We left the office feeling really optimistic. We're set for a FET in May. If that's not successful we'll do another in June, then a fresh stimulated cycle in July (in time for DH to leave in August).

So, that's the plan.

But sometimes I look at my busy little one-year-old and wonder if i'm ready to go through IVF again. And if i'm ready to be pregnant without DH to help. I'm sure everyone has the same pre-IVF jitters at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment